Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pope Time

As most of you are aware, a few weeks ago the Catholic Church elected a new pope, Francis, to the head of their church. I've heard a variety of views upon this event and the Catholic church as a whole. Here's a few of the significant remarks I've heard or thought of.

First of all, let's motivate this blog. The fact that this new pope is in a position of leadership of over 1 billion people (approx. 1/8 of the world's population), it is an understatement to say that he has a significant amount of power/influence, which, in my opinion, surpasses that of most, if not all, political/social leaders of the modern world. That being the case, anytime a significant change occurs with this position, the shear authority that accompanies the role demands, in my opinion, that I take a look and heed attention towards the event.

Thought 1: This is my favorite thought, I am in wonder of the impact that this man has. That whatever he says is treated as the word of God (or a shade shy of it). I was in awe of the impact on world that one simple command from him could have. That if he declared that in order to be a 'good catholic' one must share the Gospel (perhaps on a timely basis like once a month). I was in wonder of how many people would a) have to know the biblical Gospel and be able to give an account (1 Peter) and b) would hear the Gospel (perhaps for the first time, perhaps just another time leading them closer to the truth)

Thought 2: The second thought was 'what is different between this man and I?'. I came to a few answers to this question. First, he wears funny clothes and a point hat (though I do wear funny clothes sometime, I do not have a pointy hat). Second, he is in a position of authority of a whole bunch of people. I am not, I may have authority over a few people, but it is nowhere near his scope. Third, he has had a significantly more time to study the scripture and preach to God's people. Then I asked, 'spiritually speaking, what's the difference?', we're both sinners in desperate need of a savior. If he's been redeemed through the cross I will happily call him brother and I look forward to his leading of people towards a biblical Gospel. (though some of my friends have expressed doubt that a Gospel focused person will ever be able to lead in the Vatican, I have hope that God for his word does not return void)

Thought 3: What role does the pope play in the life of the average Catholic? I could go into an extended example, but I'll cut to the chase, is he an idol? Is he, in effect, worshiped by the practicing Catholic? I know that official doctrine is adamantly against this claim, but what is the de facto belief?

Thought 4: Though closely related to thought 3, is he an intercessor? Is one of his roles to be a liaison from God to humankind? I have gotten this sense from some of my Catholic friends and I would like to directly challenge it. If his role is to intermediate from God to man, then that is a perfect modern-day example of the Judaic-temple religion under the rule of the Pharisees. The parallels between the New Testament Pharisee religion and the modern-day Catholic religion were so surprising and accurate that I was taken aback.

What are you thoughts on the new pope or the papacy in general?

No comments:

Post a Comment